Like every individual, trees can also be infected, diseased and dead. Jacksonville homeowners should be willing to protect their trees and shrubs from the cold hands of pests and insects that can cause diseases through regular tree care service. This goes a long way preventing health decline and other serious damages from occurring. To keep trees and shrubs from the effects of insects and pests, tree spraying is required. In fact, spraying helps to prevent the necessity for removing trees or shrubs that homeowners find desirable and wouldn’t like to remove.
There are just too many diseases and insect types that can affect a tree. To control insects, treatment could commence when there is an infestation of fungus, insects and other diseases that affect the overall health and beauty of your tree. On the other hand, preventive measures can be adopted to minimize their operation. A garden or yard that has been left unchecked, tends to be vulnerable to insects that can cause leaf and bark loss. Such insects include beetles, mites, aphids and the likes. You can’t overemphasize the need to control these them.
TREE SPRAYING, LIFE SAVER
Spraying is recognized as the most effective method of treating trees with pesticide or fungicide, either for prevention or as a curative agent. However, tree spraying depends solely on the type of tree in question, its size and the type of insect or pests that have invaded it. It’s important to diagnose tree problems early because certain species of trees are more vulnerable to diseases and insect infestation.
The type of tree in your garden or yard and the diseases which it is prone to can dictate what type of spray is required. Just like evergreens are susceptible to fungus, fruit trees are vulnerable to infestation and diseases, and tree scab tortures crabapple so, different strokes for different folks! Basically, tree spraying tends to save your tree when it’s infested, sick and has a fungal infection. Once a tree is inspected by experts and the cause of the illness is known, a correct spray formula will be provided and spraying will be done at the appropriate time for best results.
You may want to ask what the concept “spraying” means? Spraying is a procedure that pertains to the application of specific chemicals to trees to protect or reclaim them from diseases and/or insects that are hurting them. Factor such as the life cycle of the pests and botanical diseases will determine the type of chemical used and the best time of its application. To fully wipe out a problem, several rounds of spraying may be required.
It is crucial to take care of the trees on your property or yard. This involves carefully observing them and whenever they appear sick, spraying might just be a favorable way to revive them back to a healthy life. Spraying a tree might not just be one of the tasks you want to do, why not leave the job to the pros? You will need the help of a specialist who can identify the problem and as such, restore a tree back to its healthy state.
PREVENTIVE VS CURATIVE TREE SPRAY
To determine when insect pests will become active, there are virtually two natural indicators.
- The growing degree-days indicator: insect pest activity is determined by varying temperature. Therefore, several insects seem to be active when their growing degree-days gets to a specific range.
- Phenological indicators: the blooming period for flowering plants is used to determine insect activity.
With the above indicators, a better idea is gotten as to when and what treatment is required of a tree. However, there may be variation in timing and treatment as a result of changes in weather especially the temperature.
PREVENTIVE TREE SPRAY
This measure is used before the activity of pest or disease is foreseen to be active, majorly to minimize damage. It involves a specialist applying either fungicide or insecticide (or both) to a tree before their operation.
CURATIVE TREE SPRAY
Sprays are done after which the activity of pest insects on trees or shrubs is obvious. A tree specialist applies a tree spray after which insect pest has started feeding on your trees or shrubs for the purpose of impeding the pest from causing irreversible or too much damage.
Like the common expression “prevention is better than cure”. It is too dangerous to wait until your landscape is ravaged by infestation and diseases. It would be wise to use preventive measures such as:
- Dormant sprays
- Fungicide sprays
- Insecticide sprays
- General-purpose fruit tree spray
No need to panic even when they have invaded your landscape, there is a cure!
TIPS ON BEST TIME TO SPRAY FRUIT TREES
It’s quite interesting to know that fruit trees are susceptible to infestation and diseases therefore, the same spraying procedure can be followed for most fruit trees.
- First thing first, dormant oil should be applied when the temperature is about 40°F preferably, February or March
- When flower buds are becoming noticeable but yet closed, apply fungicide
- The second round of fungicide should be sprayed shortly before flower buds open preferably, not more than 14 days after the first round
- When you observe that about 90% of the petals have dropped off your fruit tree, apply general-purpose spray so that pest insects can be largely controlled
- Ensure you don’t spray before petals fall off so that bees and other pollinators that are helpful for yield increase will not be killed
- After a week, you can apply the second layer of your general-purpose spray. Also, ensure you apply ‘cover spray’ so that tree leaves and canopy will be covered.
- Make findings on the best time when insecticide should be applied in Jacksonville
- An insecticidal spray can be applied right about the time of your general-purpose spray, that’s if the problem is particularly that of insect operation.
- Do not discontinue the application of cover sprays of your general-purpose spray. Spray once within the space of ten days all through the summer
- Follow strictly the recommended insecticide application plan if an insecticide is used as an addition to the general-purpose spray
- Ensure that application of all forms of chemical stops two weeks before harvesting fruits so that they don’t get contaminated.
USEFULNESS OF TREE SPRAYING
When trees are sprayed either for a preventive measure or as a curative agent, once spray is applied appropriately and timely, the benefits tend to outweigh the potential harm of applying the chemicals. The type of spray applied and its timing is important. Tree spraying offer loads of benefits, the major ones include;
- Prolonged life – just like other care given to trees, routine spraying can never be an exception to prolonging trees’ life. It builds a strong immune system in trees for longevity.
- Prevention – spraying helps to control infestation and wipe out insect pests. It minimizes the damage caused by fungal infections and infestation.
- Comfort – when done at the right time and appropriately, tree spraying gives satisfaction and relief to any damaged tree.
Are you willing to save your trees diseases and infestation? Tree spraying may be your answer.
Do you care to manage or control insect pests and diseases in your landscape?
Have they ravaged your property and you seem to have run out of options?
Don’t you think it’s high time you contact a specialist?
Don’t hesitate to share your worries with us at Leinad Tree Service. We are tree care experts who take pleasure in prolonging the life of an infested and diseased tree. Contact us if you spot tree damage in your landscape, let our life-saving tree expert come to run a check. We ensure a correct diagnosis and give appropriate treatment. Call us, let our certified arborist help you with your yard needs.