How can you protect your home, property and forest? Leave it to us Leinad Tree Service, tree fire mitigation and protection is our area of specialty. We’ve got you covered.
Fire is sure unpredictable. However, if there are weaknesses in your home’s fire protection scheme, fire can gain the upper hand because of some overlooked or seemingly inconsequential factor. With the creation of wildfire-defensible zones, homes are less vulnerable from this naturally occurring phenomenon and the chance of spreading wildfires is greatly reduced.
The importance of defensible space/ zone cannot be ignored as wildfires seem to be a natural part of US forest ecosystems. Therefore, we must employ proactive management strategies to reduce the potential impacts of wildfire. Creating defensible space around homes is a critical aspect or part of protecting mountain communities. Defensible space is the area around a home or other structure (properties) that has been modified to reduce fire hazard.
In this area, it is ensured that natural and manmade fuels are treated, cleared or reduced to slow the spread of wildfire. The creation of defensible space also works in the reverse, and most importantly reduces the chance of a structure fire spreading to neighboring homes or the surrounding forest. Defensible spaces thus gives your home a fighting chance against an approaching wildfire. The creation of an effective defensible space involves a series of management zones in which different treatment techniques are used. Ensure to develop these zones around each building on your property including detached garages, storage buildings, barns and other structures.
The actual design and development of your defensible space is dependent on numerous factors including the following:
- The size or shape of the building(s)
- Construction materials
- Slope of the ground
- The surrounding topography
- Sizes and types of vegetation on your property
In creating this defensible space around your residence or business, divide your property into zones and then reduce or eliminate vegetation in each zone in accordance with proven wildfire mitigation strategies.
- Immediate Zone includes the home and an area 0-5inches from the furthest attached exterior point of the home. Create a non-combustible zone by the removal of dead leaves, debris and pine needles from gutters, the replacement of loose shingles or roof tiles, the installation of 1/8 inch metal mesh screening on vents, the repair or replacement of damaged or loose window screens, and the removal of all flammable material away from walls and from underneath decks and porches.
- Intermediate Zone includes the area 5-30inches from the furthest exterior point of the home. The management of landscaping to create breaks that will help decrease the spread of a wildfire. A clear vegetation from under propane tanks, creation of fuel breaks with driveways, paths, patios and decks, ensure to keep all grass mowed to 4 inches, prune trees up to 6-10 inches from the ground, ensure to space trees at least ’18 between crowns, ensure mature tree canopy is no closer than 10inches to the home, and limit trees and shrubs to small clusters of a few each to create breaks in the landscape.
- Extended zone includes an area of 30-100inches, out to 200inches from the home. Manage this area to break up the path of fire and keep flames smaller and on the ground by: removing heavy accumulations of ground litter, removing of dead plant and tree material, removing small conifers growing between mature trees, removing vegetation adjacent to storage sheds or outbuildings, spacing of trees 60-100inches from home so there are at least 6inches between canopy trees.
Preparing your home and property from wildfire is a necessity if you live in the wildfire-urban interface. It is thus important to adequately modify the fields in your home ignition zone. Keep the mindset of ‘every task you complete around your home and property will make your home more defensible during a wild fire.
Tree Fire Mitigation and Protection can thus be said to be putting in place strategies or measures put in place to reduce tree fire and protect properties as well as trees from a fire outbreak. This is what we do. Be sure to get a quality job done on your property with the highest level of professionalism and expertise.
Stay informed during the wildfire season, you can stay updated on the progress of any fires burning in your area with the Leinad Tree Service. The creation and maintenance of a defensible space not only helps protect your home but also protects your neighbors as well. Be a good neighbor by contacting us at Leinad Tree Service now!