Tree injection is also known as trunk or stem injection. It is a method of target precise application of pesticides, plant resistance activators, and fertilizers into xylem vascular tissue of a tree with the purpose of protecting the tree from pests or nutrition for correction of nutrients. Pest control is the curbing of damages done by annoying and often destructive harmful creatures.
A single tree in your yard or acres of woods on your property can all be affected by invasive insects. Tree injection for pest control is a method of applying insecticides into trees to protect them against pest infestations. Tree injections are quite popular because the application is more precise and leaves a minimal impact on the environment.
The chemical is put directly into the tree where it is picked up only by the insects feeding on the tree- not by people, wild, beneficial insects, or other non- target organisms, which creates a safer, more efficient way of managing tree health. Plants absorb insecticides and transport the chemical’s ingredients throughout its tissues. Injecting your trees with specially formulated treatments can fight off invading organisms and protect your trees from future invasions.
Common invasive insects
– Emerald ash borer (beetle)
– The walnut twig beetle
– Asian long-horned beetle
– Pine shoot beetle
– Gypsy moth
How tree injections control pests:
– In tree injection, insecticides are placed beneath the bark and into the tree’s water-conducting system.
– With transpiration (the process of water movement through a plant), the water movement carrying the insecticide moves upward with the flow of sap.
– The water reaches aerial parts (leaves, stems, flowers, etc.) and pores evaporates.
– Chewing and sucking insects that feed on young shoots and leaves are exposed to the insecticide chemicals.
– The insecticide is left to become concentrated in the shoots and leaves.
Advantages of tree injections
– Quick and easy – unlike sprays and oils, inclement weather will not affect the ability to apply the insecticides. It works faster.
– Safe – since the chemical is injected directly into the tree, people and wildlife will not be exposed to the chemicals and the tree will get the precise dose it needs.
– Long-term protection- insecticides work throughout the tree’s trunk and branches, offering a long- lasting solution.
– Eco- friendly – the trunk injection method is completely safe to use near bodies of water parks, golf courses, etc. because the solution is sealed inside if the tree.
In the past and recently, trunk injection of pesticides and plant resistance activators has been investigated in agriculture for control of pathogens and insects are pests on fruit tree crops and grapevines. The most investigated are diseases and pests of avocado, apple, and grapevine.
Trunk injection of pesticide is considered as an option for precise compound delivery which will reduce the negative impact of drift-driven pesticide losses in the environment, that occur after each spraying. Besides the negative consequences of frequent pesticide applications in the environment, stem injection of grapevines is investigated in Vitivulcture (the agricultural practice of growing grapevines) for control of pathogens with difficult biologies that infect and destroy woody tissues and that cannot be controlled efficiently by canopy spray applications of fungicides.
To increase the efficiency of injected compounds in trees and vines, important considerations are plant anatomy, weather soil conditions, trees physiology processes, the spatial and temporal distribution of injected compound, and the chemical properties of injected compound and formulation. If you think your trees may be infested with these invasive organisms, our certified arborists can perform a full evaluation of your trees and decide on the best plan of attack for efficient bug control.
Need a tree injection specialist in Jacksonville? We’re here to help!